- Black urad (whole) daal/ Black Grams: 1/2 bowl
- Red Kidney Beans/ Rajmah: 1-2 tbsp
- Onion: 1 (big)
- Garlic: 1 clove (optional)
- Ginger: 1 small piece or less
- Tomato: 2-3 (medium size)
- Sour cream: 3-4 tbsp (or 1 cup whole milk)
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Asfoetida / Hing: 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Oil/ Butter: 1-2 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Red Chilli Powder: to taste
- Wash Urad daal and Kidney beans thoroughly and soak in water overnight for 6-8 hrs.
- Pressure cook daal and kidney beans in ~3 cups of water adding salt and turmeric powder to it.
- After 3 whistles on high flame, lower the flame and pressure cook for 45-60 minutes
- Keep it aside.
Daal Makhani/ daal maharani goes very well with lachha paratha or naan or chapati and with mango pickle. This is a typical punjabi (hence bit fatty) style of cooking daal makhani/ daal maharani and I am sure you will love it along with the above accompaniments.