Aloo badiyan is a very traditional and popular dish of Punjab, India. Badiyan is a pakora (dumpling) prepared from red chillies and besan. Its an ideal dish for people who like a bit spicy and sour curry.
- Potatoes: 3-4 (chopped)
- Badiyan: 3-4 pieces
- Tomato: 2
- Green chilli: 1
- Ginger: a small piece
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Oil: 1tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Turmeric pwd: 1/2 tsp
- Grind tomatoes, ginger and green chilli to form a puree.
- Heat oil in pressure cook. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add badiyan. (See Badiyan in the picture on the right.)
- Roast badiyan for 3-4 mins.
- Add tomato puree, salt, turmeric pwd, potatoes and water (~ 2 cups).
- Take 1-2 whistles on high flame and then cook on low flame for 8-10 mins.
- Ready to serve with chapati, nan, parantha or rice.